Sunday, June 1, 2008

Those 2.5 months

In my 10th as well as my 12th, while preparing for my board exam I remember those 2.5 months. Exams were usually scheduled for mid February and all school / college exams were over by end of November. So, December, January and half of February were very crucial for the final preparation. But the chilly winters of Shillong was a big curse for this. Mann, you feel so sleepy in the evenings, but still you have to study. There is no other choice. I used to wake up by 7:00 AM, and start studying by 7:30 till 10:00 type. Dad goes to office by that time, so have the morning food with dad at that time. Then I take break, read newspapers and play with my dog. I had a dog named Kalu those days and he was a great source of entertainment for me. I used to read 2 newspapers, The Sentinel which is a English regional paper of the North-East and The Hindustan Times. Then start my next phase of study by 11:30 and study till 2:00. The afternoon time I used to concentrate on subjects which involved problem solving rather than theory, so that I don't feel sleepy. In back ground I used to listen to Lunch Hour Western Music telecasted in AIR - Shillong. Mom will supply me with sweet oranges during this time. The winters in Shillong is very famous for oranges. I swear such tasty oranges can't be found in any other parts of the country. The I would take a nap by 2:00 to 3:00 followed by a cup of kadak chai. Then, I will again start for study, study for 1.5 or 2.0 hrs. During winters, it used to get dark by 4:30 or 5:00. So, I will just come out of my house by 4:15 or so... to meet my friends. There was a Newspaper stand where we used to meet everyday and do gossip. Mann, sometimes the gossips will last till 1 hrs or so and the topics included everything from politics to study matters to girls in the colony. Return home by 5:30, and after having evening snacks, I will sit for studying till 10:30. 10:30 was our usual dinner time and the same time is still followed by my parent till today. Then I will start with my final phase of study at 11:00 and continue till 12:30 max. By that time parent were fast asleep. Those days, we did not have cable connection in our house, but we used to get 3 channels in our TV for some signal leakage or so. MTV, Star Sports and Start Movies. I will watch MTV Grind for 10 - 15 minutes in mute volume and go for sleep before 1AM. The above was almost the same routine for preparation leave days for those 4 years, yet I never felt bored or annoying. And, when I recollect those days, I really feel a great deal of nostalgia. I remember, we used to burn charcoal to keep the room warm during these months and I will put some potatoes and 1 brinjal to burn. I used to eat this almost everyday and it was so yummy. My dog, whom I remember till today, was a great source of zeal and enthusiasm. It was such a simple life, yet so great and worth remembering for years to come.

Related Posts by Categories



Widget by Hoctro | Jack Book

No comments: