Friday, December 4, 2009

India Shining... a myth ?

I along with some of my colleagues were talking about our country over the evening cup of tea. Mera Bharat Mahan type of discussion.The fact and the reality kind of stuffs. Recently, I read it somewhere that by 2050 India will be the 3rd largest economy in the world. It was a feel good news item to read, but I feel we actually make fool of ourselves by making these types of speculations and clairvoyant remarks. 30% of our population is still under poverty lines.And, I think a portion of our country men unfortunate enough to even get included inside the 10 yearly census or such national surveys. I can say, poorer then poor people, which we can think are living in some of the remotest part in north eastern part of country. And, when we make statements like India is shining or India is economically getting powerful, we intentionally don't include these facts. These people are simple and innocence reigns their culture. Such people don't even get noticed till someone discovers that the land where these people lives and living since hundreds of years are rich in Uranium or other raw materials for mint machines. I remember, my dad telling us something many years ago when I was in high school. Dad was appointed for election duty in one of such remotest village near Cherrapunjee. The village head-man (Sarpanch) arranged for the stay of my dad and two other officials in the village only. The people there were so poor then they did not even had enough food for themselves. However, my dad and his colleagues were so moved by their hospitality. They did not have rice to eat, so offered oranges for eating. They don't have proper  place to sleep, but offered whatever they call it as their bed. This is just an instance. Probably, when we call India is Shining, we refer to just the urban India ? Yes, India is indeed shining, we have new hotels, newer malls coming up in every nook and corner of the city. And, what am I doing ? Just contributing 30% of my salary ? Something which needs a thought by all of us ....  News items from such remotest places needs attention, but media don't care. People are more interested in Shilpa Shetty's wedding in Khandala. Holy Shit.

Related Posts by Categories



Widget by Hoctro | Jack Book

No comments: