Saturday, January 5, 2013

Lolita

“The moral sense in mortals is the duty
We have to pay on mortal sense of beauty”
Lolita by What should I say about this book? Its far more than being just amazing and truly marvelous. The style of writing, descriptions of each and every events of the story in such a lucid manner made me totally spellbound.

The 1st impression of the book, about the protagonist (Mr. H.H) being a pedophile, his desire and lust for young girls (nymphets, in his nomenclature) gave me a sick feeling. I believe any readers of this masterpiece must have got the same initial notion about the book.

But this feeling disappeared as I advanced in my journey through the leaflets of the book with Mr. Humbert Humbert. The writing, the plot, the events looked so real, so lively that at time I felt that I myself being a passive witness of the whole narration. I probably myself got possesive about Lolita as I imbibed myself deep into the wordings of the book. Mr. H.H will be called a sick person in any civilized society, but his love (devoid of the lust) for Lolita, I'll call truly eternal. Lolita appeared to be a mysterious girl/lady/woman as any other women in this world. But authors portrayal of her was just more than a normal humane child. Every minute details of the 1st and 2nd joyride across The States is incredible and as it appeared in the book, its just more than a travelogue.

As I finished reading the book, I wish Lolita was still well and doing good in her life post 1952, even if she exists only in the fictional world! From a feminist point of view, the novel smells of male chauvinism as the voice and feeling of Lolita, the girl, do not come out so well from the narration. But, as I see it, its not suppressed as well. Reader has to guess and imagine a mental image of her feelings and emotions, probably through her actions as depicted in the book!

An awesome and serious read, recommended to any adult who want to plunge themselves into an world of lust, love, care, melancholy, possessiveness, hope ... If someone can survive the first 20% of the book, it will be difficult to put the book aside after that. Again, I truly disagree with people calling "Lolita" an erotic novel! Lolita is far more than just a literary chef-d'oeuvre.

However, I would like to echo the same as in the the book's forward by Widworth, Mass. John Ray, Jr..

As a case history, "Lolita" will become, no doubt, a classic in psychiatric circles. As a work of art, it transcends its expiatory aspects; and still more important to us than scientific significance and literary worth, is the ethical impact the book should have on the serious reader; for in this poignant personal study there lurks a general lesson; the wayward child, the egotistic mother, the panting maniac-these are not only vivid characters in a unique story: they warn us of dangerous trends; they point out potent evils. "Lolita" should make all of us- parents, social workers, educators-apply ourselves with still greater vigilance and vision to the task of bringing up a better generation in a safer world.

Related Posts by Categories



Widget by Hoctro | Jack Book

No comments: